- by partyvan
- Health Benefits
- September 22, 2015
- Post Views: 853
- Swelling of the colon (colitis). Early research suggests that taking an herbal combination of fennel, dandelion, St. John’s wort, lemon balm and calendula can reduce pain along the large intestine in people with swelling of the colon.
- Drinking a tea containing fennel for one month can reduce constipation in older people.
- Fennel seeds contain phytoestrogens that increase milk production in lactating mothers. If the mother chews fennel seeds, the volatile oils are passed to the infant through breast milk. The oils can help relieve digestive disturbances and colic in the infant.
- The phytoestrogens in fennel seeds also help relieve menstrual pain and PMS.
- Cough syrup made from fennel juice or fennel seeds, has an expectorant action to effectively loosen phlegm and help relieve bronchial congestion. It calms coughs and helps open nasal airways.
- Fennel powder is used as a poultice for snakebites.