- Stomach and intestinal ulcers. Taking mastic powder by mouth for 2 weeks seems to reduce symptoms and improve healing in people with intestinal ulcers.
- Consumption of mastic can reduce low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, the so-called bad cholesterol, as well as in total cholesterol levels.
- Early research suggests that taking mastic by mouth for 4 weeks improves symptoms and reduces test markers for swelling in people with Crohn’s disease.
- Mastic acts against stomach infection caused by a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori ( pylori). Early research suggests that taking mastic gum for 2 weeks helps eliminate H. pylori infections.
- Brushing with mastic essential oil-containing toothpaste using a sonic toothbrush for 12 weeks reduces plaque buildup, as well as swelling, redness, and bleeding of the gums, in people with gum disease better than using a sonic toothbrush alone.
- A “Journal of Ethnopharmacology” study also found liver protective effects associated with mastic. Blood tests of participants taking 5g of mastic daily showed decreased levels of certain liver enzymes compared to initial levels, an indicator of better liver health.
- Mastic is a natural anti-bacterial and it can be applied directly to skin cuts, wounds and burns.
- Moreover, mastiha can help blood.
- Chewing mastic gum can help to breathing problems.