- Rose buds are rich in polyphenols, which are water-soluble. A 2007 issue of “Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung” found that rose petals were high in polyphenols as well as in a range of other antioxidants, including ellagic acid and quercetin. A 2005 review on polyphenols published in the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition” discussed the role of polyphenols in helping prevent cardiovascular diseases as well as osteoporosis and possibly even cancer. Polyphenols are recognized for their general health benefits, however, more research is needed before polyphenols can be recommended as a treatment for specific conditions.
- Rose buds are a natural source of vitamin C according to a review published in the “Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences.” Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant which can block some of the damage that can result from exposure to toxins and free radicals. Such damage can lead to increased rates of aging. Vitamin C also provides support for your immune system, and it aids in the production of collagen, a protein essential for healthy skin and hair.
- Rose tea can help relieve some of the symptoms of menstruation, namely cramping, according to the 2005 study published in the “Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health.” Scientists studying adolescent women in Taiwan found that drinking rose tea over a period of six months led to less cramping during menstruation, as well as relief from the psychological stress associated with cramping during periods. Scientists concluded that drinking rose tea could provide welcome and necessary relief from menstrual pain without any adverse side effects or safety concerns.
- Roses were also used to reduce inflammation in various parts of the body and to ease cough.
- A nice hot cup of rose tea is a great home remedy for sore throats as well as the various annoying symptoms of common colds and flu such as stuffiness or a runny nose. The vitamin C content of the tea helps you to fight infection and ease the soreness you are feeling in your throat.
- No addition to its variety of physical health benefits, rose tea can be used to calm the mind and elevate your mood.